This charming little spot tucked away on Melrose Place is the ultimate trendy, LA coffee shop. This magical brewery of all things caffeine-y and magical is the birthplace of "But first, coffee." So yes, you'll definitely need to take a few shots for the 'gram before you leave.
Located on the Venice's most beloved street Abbot Kinney, Intelligentsia Coffee is the home of true coffee engineers. Anyone from high-brow espresso hipsters to coffee commoners will find something skillfully crafted to their liking here. Rhea Recommendation: The Angeleno. Quad shot, simple syrup, milk, ice, shaken. Enough said.
Venice is truly a coffee hotspot. Blue Bottle Coffee is located just a few shops down from Intelligentsia and brings its authentic, San Francisco vibes to the heart of Abbot Kinney. The minimalist shop offers just enough options for the inquisitive coffee drinker, but keeps things simple and straightforward (as they should be).
Groundwork Coffee is one of the many buzzing businesses that line Rose Avenue in Venice. This lovely shop is the type to make you smile the moment you walk through its rustic doors. The friendly baristas and (what I like to call) comfort coffee is sure to warm your heart and belly.
Another San Francisco native, Philz Coffee is notorious for its carefully brewed pour-over coffee. Walking into the Santa Monica location is like walking right into your neighborhood coffee shop, pulling you in with its homelike atmosphere. Philz is living proof that a simple cup of coffee can be extraordinarily crafted and authentically special.
In case you missed it, off the shoulder tops are everywhere and they are our absolute favorite trend at the moment. Pair one with distressed mom jeans for casual Friday. Bring in the fall colors with a pair of daphne brown booties.
Fall is all about layers. Dress up any casual plaid shirt with a textured sport coat. Brown leather accents are a fall favorite for us. Pair the men's smoked brown classic boots with a brown watch to tie the whole look together.
What do you know? Another off the shoulder top... We warned you- they're everywhere! But we're not complaining. Transform any summer look into a fall fit by adding leather accents. Daphne black booties are a fall staple that look great with jeans, tights, or even a vintage denim skirt.
Black on black is yet another go-to that we adore for the fall and winter months. Pull it off just right by pairing a crisp black tee with faded black jeans to offset one another. Add a touch of color with a gold accented watch or men's matte grey slip-on's.
"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." Albert Camus
1. Change out your summer wardrobe. There's nothing like waking up to the first chilly day of Fall with all of your comfy sweaters still stowed away in bins. Once the scorching days become scarce, start to reintroduce some of your beloved fall pieces back into your closet space. This makes transitioning into colder weather much easier and less stressful!
2. Dust! After running AC units and fans all summer, you're most likely due for a good dusting. Take time to wipe down your fans, windowpanes, shutters and vents so that when it's time to crank up the heat during chilly nights, you air can be clean and dust free!
3. Stock up on your favorite teas. Tea before bed is one of my favorite fall and winter rituals. Steep fresh ginger in hot water for 5 minutes with a squeeze of lemon to help improve circulation during the colder months.
4. Journaling session. Journaling is a pretty regular thing for me, but it's especially important to journal during moments of transition. Take some time aside to recap from summer, document how much you've accomplished, what you're grateful for and what you're setting out to do during the winter months. Colder weather requires more indoor activities, so take this time to brainstorm how you'll stay active this fall and winter.
5. Put together some yummy fall recipes! During the fall and winter months, the body requires more concentrated energy to stay warm. Root vegetables like potatoes, garlic, onions etc. thrive in the winter months since plant energy moves downward to regulate in colder temperatures. Look into what foods will be best for your body when cooler weather sets in and get creative with fun recipes.
I trust in nature for the stable laws of beauty and utility. Spring shall plant and autumn garner to the end of time. -Robert Browning
Hashtag #RHEActive in an instagram photo of you doing any type of fitness activity (sports, beach workouts, fitness classes, group exercises + more). Multiple entries are accepted and encouraged!
At Rhea, we think it's important to incorporate fitness activities into your everyday life and even more importantly, to make it fun and interactive. Rhea Footwear's mission is to make any activity or adventure fun and SAFE. So grab your family and friends and get #RHEActive with us! We will choose three lucky winners on Tuesday 8/23.
Rhea Footwear is invested in safety and slip and fall prevention in any and all activities. Rhea Footwear combines an exclusive rubber compound and patented outsole with a micro-tread pattern to channel out liquids and provide maximum contact with the surface.
Whether or not you burn in the sun, sunscreen can help reduce skin damage from the sun altogether. It's important to keep sunscreen with you, especially if you find yourself outdoors often! Keep your summer activities fun and safe by protecting your skin!
Your skin isn't the only thing that needs protection. Proper sunglasses can help protect the eyes from harmful UV rays. Stay safe and stylish with a pair of good shades.
My favorite accessory. I take my reusable water bottle everywhere I go because it limits the usage of plastic water bottles, and helps me stay hydrated all day long! It can also save you a few dollars a day if you usually buy bottled water on the go.
DISPOSABLE/ POLAROID CAMERA
Be ready to capture life's wonderful moments on film! I love having a disposable camera on me so I can have a few printable photos at the end of the summer. They're great to keep, add to a small gift or string up on a wall!
A BOOK OR MAGAZINE
I love to keep at least one book or magazine, along with my journal and planner with me. You'll never know when you need to jot something down, or when the long summer day calls for a reading break. At the beach, by the pool or sitting in traffic- a book is always good to have!
Good shoes are a MUST HAVE for any and all summer outings. Shoes are your foundation and support for adventures and activities, and help you stay on your feet during the loveliest season of the year. Rhea Footwear's non-slip sandals combine fashion and function with NeverSlip technology. This is how Rhea does beach days:
In case you haven't yet seen what Rhea Footwear sandals can do, check out this short video:
Easygoing and personable, Hershy tells us that it's the people part of the business that's got him hooked. People come to the restaurant to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or to grab a few drinks after a long day at work. They come around looking for a good time.
This isn't Hershy's first restaurant in Venice. He previously worked at an upscale restaurant on Abbot Kinney, so we asked him what makes the food culture in Venice so special.
"I believe our food culture on the West Side is driven by our clientele. They’re young, hip and they’ve got a lot of money. If the food is locally sourced, ethically harvested and socially responsible, they’re willing to pay more for it."
The world of food and food culture speaks a lot about the people and the place from which it blossoms, and LEONA is product of that. The team behind LEONA stays current with the style and trends of Venice while also aligning with the needs and wants of the community.
Hershy describes the clientele at LEONA as connected to and invested in their community. Hershy's team integrates this into the restaurant by hosting events such as beach cleanup days, participating in a local inter-restaurant soccer league, and #HashtagLunchbag (where they made and distributed lunchbags to local homeless people on the beach and pier).
The interconnectedness of LEONA and its community is reflected in the lively atmosphere of the restaurant on a busy night. Locals and neighbors excitedly return to share the weekly special with a new friend, to stop in and chat with Chef Nyesha, or to just have a glass of wine at the bar. Hershy makes it his duty to make everyone, visitors and locals alike, feel right at home once they step through the doors.
"I treat every table like they're a guest at my party. Pretend like it's a wedding; as you move around, every table must feel your presence and know that you want them there."
Just a block from the beach, LEONA is an exciting place to be. Hershy prides himself in reflecting the feel of the restaurant in his choice of attire every shift. While it's his job to pay attention and guide the guests' experiences, he notes that they're also paying attention.
"They appreciate the shirt you got from Scotch and Soda, or a haircut you got at Rudy’s Barbershop on Main Street. It’s a way to feel good about yourself while also showcasing the other businesses in your community."
While staying on top of the latest trends is an exciting and crucial part of the job, it's just as important for his style of dress to be practical and supportive. Hershy claims that shoes are everything in the restaurant industry. Without proper footwear to support 10-12 hour days, it's impossible to work efficiently. He admits that shoes are usually the hardest part of the outfit because they must have a balance between comfort, durability and utility.
The ideal restaurant shoe not is not only supportive and durable, but also must have premium non slip features to prevent dangerous slip and fall accidents. As a manager, Hershy has witnessed many accidents due to inappropriate footwear and actually requires his team to wear closed toed, non slip shoes. We asked if Hershy believed that a shoe could be both reliable and safe, while also meeting his style standards.
"Not since a good friend of mine shared Rhea Footwear shoes with me, did I think I could wear something as elegant and elevated in fashion and also serve me in both front and back of house duties. I don’t have to worry when walking back and forth out of the kitchen; I know I’m going to be safe and look good."
So the verdict is in and Hershy more than approves of our NeverSlip technology that is so brilliantly paired with a stylish and elegant design. In the heart of Venice, Hershy Petty and the team at LEONA push food culture forward by connecting people, sharing food and going above and beyond style standards.
1. They quite literally are the reason we're all here. A moment of silence for all the life givers out there.
2. They make their presence known on all of your social media. Lookin' at you Mom. And there's no need to sign "xo, Mom" on every comment you leave.
3. They're most likely your biggest fan. No one believes in your like your Mom or Dad probably does. My parents have always been there to cheer me on, encourage me and remind me to not be too hard on myself.
4. They're your best friends. Family is family and while they can drive you crazy, they've known you the longest and probably know you the best.
5. They've seen you in all your seasons, phases and awkward moments, and still manage to accept you. Whether blossoming or falling flat on your face, parents have seen you in all your glory. They know what you've been through and what you're made of.
6. They're the ultimate role models. Monkey see, monkey criticizes and says it will never do, and then Monkey does. We're a lot more like our parents than we admit.
7. There's nothing like the disappointment of a parent, but there's also nothing like a parent's grace and forgiveness. We've all been there. We've all gotten the look of sheer disappointment/confusion/embarrassment when we did something wrong. But parent's have a way of always seeing past the flaws, and loving you despite questionable decisions.
8. Home is where your parents are. You can go searching every corner of the world for home, but it will always be with your kinfolk. No matter what you do or where you go, you will always have a home with Mom and Dad.
9. Parenting is a full-time job, with no overtime, and no option to retire. Even after my siblings and I grew into adults, my parents were still putting in the hours as grandparents. Once a Mom/Dad, always one.
10. Speaking from my own experience, my parents have always modeled what a loving relationship looks like. My parents are best friends and display what a strong and equal partnership can look like when nurtured with love and respect. They're the perfect example of two people who are individually amazing, and even better when together.
Classy is always a good idea. For a casual luncheon with good company, pair the classic flats in sapphire blue with cropped jeans and a light tank. Accessorizing with a small neck scarf or bandana is one of our favorite summer trends.
Our men's slip on in lime navy is another classic option for 4th of July festivities. For the gentleman who prefers understated, a couple different shades of blue are sure to do the trick.
If you're heading to a backyard barbecue or daytime celebration, this bright and casual outfit is perfect. The classic flats in California red are just enough color to splash on a simple look. Don't forget your sunnies!
Back to the basics. Whether you're sitting poolside or playing beach volleyball this 4th of July, these true blue essentials are all you need! Our men's vepo sandals in navy are sure to keep you on your feet all day long.
When it comes to beaching, accessories are everything. Make any swimsuit holiday ready with a patriotic beach towel! Our best-selling eva sandals are simple, safe and surely reliable even in the most extreme fun conditions!